Kansas, also known as the American Heartland, is the 15th biggest state in the US with 82,282 square miles and a population of 2,700,000 + people. Two thirds of the state is in the great central plain, with generally flat surface and fantastic farming land. The eastern third contains hills and forests. Kansas was named after the Kansas River which in turn was named after the Konza Indians who lived in the area. State highlights include the many National Historic Trails, five major rivers and countless lakes, sporting events and activities, hunting, farming and ranching.
Auto racing, football, basketball, baseball and soccer are popular sports in Kansas. In fact there are two major auto racing facilities in Kansas – the Kansas Speedway in Kansas City and Heartland Park in Topeka. College sports at Kansas State University and the University of Kansas provide the greatest amount of sporting events. You'll find plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities in Kansas, including hunting, fishing, boating, hiking, horseback riding and biking. You can enjoy hunting for deer, wild turkey, pheasant, upland birds, waterfowl, squirrel and rabbit from the comfort of your Kansas recreational property.
A few fun facts about Kansas:
- The world's largest ball of twine is located in Cawker City.
- The world's largest hand-dug well is in Greensburg, Kansas.
- You can visit the childhood home of Dwight Eisenhower in Albilene.
- Amelia Earhart was born in Atchison.
- The Wizard of Oz Museum is located in Wamego and features Dorothy's House.
- Located equidistant from the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.
Purchase your own piece of Kansas land or a farm to start enjoying all that Kansas has to offer. At Hayden Outdoors, we look forward to sharing our expertise of Kansas real estate with you.