You are here
Headgate Ranch of Sweet Grass County, Montana
Property Types: Residential, Timber Land, Vacant Land, Ranches for Sale, Waterfront, Homes, Cabin, Recreational, Mineral or Water Rights Only
Activities & Amenities
The Headgate Ranch of Sweet Grass County consists of 1290 deeded acres in the Last Best place. The ranch's western boundary has nearly one mile of creek frontage from the famous Big Timber Creek, which is thought to be the finest fly-fishing waters in the area. The structural improvements are very thoughtfully placed and are unique to our area of Montana. There is a wonderfully designed recreational village with a very discretely professional sized Squash Court, complemented by a media/movie theater room, viewing gallery along with a bar, and a ladies and men's dressing rooms. The village also includes a caretakers house and a barn for equipment and or storage. All of the improvements have been positioned for maximum views of the Crazy Mountains.
1290 deeded acres.
Elevation: 5500' average.
Water Rights: 73 shares of the Big Timber Creek Canal Co. will convey.
Mineral Rights that the owner owns will convey.
Big Timber Creek offers excellent fishing opportunities and the trailhead offers access to Crazy Mountain trails. The Crazy Mountains are a great place to visit and Big Timber Canyon is a gateway to the best of the Crazies. Big Timber Creek offers some of the most famous whitewater kayaking in Montana. This is water for experts and it is not uncommon to find kayakers on the water when the creek flows are good.
The elk population has exploded and there are several archery permits given out for the 580 area. The rifle tag is a draw only, but with Ranch Owner Preference the chances of getting a 330-380 bull tag are excellent. Many of the neighboring ranches do allow fee hunting. The Crazy Mountains have the largest numbers of mountain goats in the state, and it is not uncommon to hike up Big Timber Canyon and see them up in the peaks.
The Headgate Ranch has many mule deer on the property, along with antelope and occasional white tail deer. A number of cow elk calve in the area. There are several good springs that the owner has developed which will hold the wildlife and the deep coulees will give them protection.
Over the last 30 years, the current owners have enhanced the holding with careful stewardship of the land and native habitat. The result is a legacy ranch of unsurpassed beauty and biodiversity that also presents an attractive land and recreational investment. The abundance of wildlife coupled with the diverse terrain and running waters makes for unmatched outdoor experiences, whether fishing, hunting, hiking or horseback riding. This offering is the perfect Montana ranch for a small scale cattle or horse operation. Big Timber Creek fishing, wildlife, and plenty of privacy and seclusion.
There are a few destination locations in the region where it is becoming increasingly challenging to find and acquire large acreage recreational properties. The Big Timber area and is an example of this. With its proximity to Bozeman and Billings, Headgate Ranch represents an opportunity to purchase a substantial holding. The land is exceptionally scenic and very private, while minutes away from vast amounts of wilderness for easy access. The property is minimally improved, there are numerous choice building sites, and the land is not encumbered with a conservation easement, although the neighboring ranches to the West have conservation easements on them. That means your views will not be obstructed.
OFFERING PRICE and CONDITIONS OF SALE
Headgate Ranch, as previously described herein, is offered at US $5,900,000.00 in Cash or Terms acceptable solely at the discretion of the Sellers. The conditions of sale are as follows:
- All offers to purchase, or letters of intent must be in writing and accompanied by a wire transfer of 3.0% of the purchase price to the escrow account at Sweet Grass Title Co; in Big Timber, Montana;
- Earnest money deposits will be placed in escrow with Sweet Grass Title Co;
- All Prospective Buyers must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Sellers absolute financial capability to purchase the Ranch prior to scheduling an inspection of the Ranch;
- The Sellers will provide and pay for a standard owner’s title insurance policy. Any endorsements requested by the Buyer or any lender will be at Buyer’s expense. Title to the real property will be conveyed by a deed;
- All the water right claims controlled by the Ranch will be transferred to the Buyer at Closing, and all the mineral rights which the Sellers own will be conveyed to the Buyer at Closing;
- Buyers’ Brokers are welcomed and invited to contact Mike Sedgwick for information regarding Cooperation Policies.